? Larry the BikerWorlds Bear Comes Home | Be Bear - The Vermont Teddy Bear Blog

Recent Posts

Archives

Topics

« | Main | »

Larry the BikerWorlds Bear Comes Home

By Nate | October 22, 2007

Patty Brosseau introduces Larry the BikerWorlds Bear at Vermont Teddy BearWhen you first gaze upon leather-clad Larry the BikerWorlds Bear, it’s hard not to hear Steppenwolf’s “Born to Be Wild” in your head…along with the low-throated roar of a Harley on the road. (Larry’s pictured here with his VTB host Patty Brosseau.)

But if you look closer, you may instead hear a hip-hop beat, because that Larry is one blinged-out Bear. Everywhere he goes, appreciative fans give him pins, trinkets, and biker paraphernalia. At this point, he probably can’t go within 100 feet of a metal detector without setting it off.

Who is this mysterious biker Bear?

It turns out that Larry’s the mascot of BikerWorlds*, which has been described as “MySpace for Motorcyclists.” Like all the other members of BikerWorlds, Larry has a profile*, a gallery, a ridelog, and friends. Lots of friends. Over 6,500 friends.

These friends come in handy, because, uh, Larry’s a little too short to reach the handlebar or footpegs. Lucky for him, his BikerWorlds friends can bring him along for rides, and they often raise money for charities. As Larry reports in his profile, “In 2006 I had a nice little run from Seattle to Key West and raised several thousand dollars for Toys for Tots.” Here’s a well-produced video of the first part of Larry’s 2006 tour.

And when he’s not busy taking the scenic route and fundraising, Larry’s collecting little trophies from his numerous road friends. Here are some pics of Larry in all his glory, taken during a recent reunion with us here at the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory:

Larry the BikerWorlds Bear at Vermont Teddy Bear

Larry the BikerWorlds Bear at Vermont Teddy Bear

Larry the BikerWorlds Bear at Vermont Teddy Bear

Larry the BikerWorlds Bear at Vermont Teddy Bear

Here’s a huge thanks to BikerWorlds for letting Larry follow his instincts to roam far and wide and share the honey in the best Be Bear tradition. Big thanks also to Patty Brosseau for hosting Larry and showing him around.

* Update, July 1, 2009: Sadly, it appears that BikerWorlds.com is no longer in existence. We haven’t found any information yet as to what happened to the site or whether it’s moved on with a different name.

* Update, August 27, 2009: See the comment thread below for additional information people have added about BikerWorlds.com and more social sites for motorcyclists.

Topics: VTB Factory, Where's Your Bear? | 19 Comments »

19 Responses to “Larry the BikerWorlds Bear Comes Home”

1. Terry Branam Says:
    November 22nd, 2007 at 11:46 am

I had the pleasure of escorting Larry to Washington,DC last May for the annual Rolling Thunder rally.He got to see all the sites in our nations capitol and met up with a lot of good biker friends.I then handed him off to a woman from Maryland where she took him on another ride for breast cancer awareness.Hope to visit with Larry again next year.
    Terrie

2. Nate Says:
    November 22nd, 2007 at 9:53 pm

Hey Terry, was Larry a good passenger? What was his favorite thing to see in Washington, DC?

3. Lori Says:
    July 1st, 2009 at 4:58 am

Hi Can anyone contact me about the Bikerworld site. I can not access for some reason.

Thank you.

4. Nate Says:
    July 1st, 2009 at 9:50 am

Hi Lori. We don’t have any more information than you, unfortunately. It’s a big bummer, because BikerWorlds.com appeared to be a huge site with a substantial following. We’d certainly appreciate if someone could fill us all in on what happened.

5. shane Says:
    July 31st, 2009 at 3:01 pm

It’s not a crash, it looks like they’ve just closed up shop. The page it shows suggests they stopped paying their hosting service bills. A few bikerworlds members are starting to join my site – bikerhood.com. Hope to see you there too.

6. Nate Says:
    August 3rd, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Thanks for the update, Shane. Best of luck with Bikerhood!

7. Jessie Poore Says:
    August 6th, 2009 at 9:29 am

I am extremely saddened by not being able to fine the site “Biker Worlds”. I lost my husband three years ago, and because of a promise to him I now ride. I found thisa site and was extremely pleased with all the friends I have made there. I hope that someone gets it up and running again, and lets us know so we can reconnect…..God Bless and Many Happy Trails…….Jessie

8. Nate Says:
    August 6th, 2009 at 10:34 am

Hey Jessie. Very sorry to hear about your husband, but I’m glad that BikerWorlds was a good place to meet fellow riders. Maybe some of them moved on to Bikerhood?

9. Vic Says:
    August 26th, 2009 at 7:36 pm

A couple of the admins wanted to take over Bikerworlds but the owner chose to shut it down instead. I don’t recall the site that folks have moved over to, but I’ve sent an email to one of the former admins. As soon as I found out either I will post the link here, or perhaps they will.

10. Vic Says:
    August 26th, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Two of the admins wanted to take over Bikerworlds, but the owner decided to just shut it down. Most of the folks from BW are now hanging out at http://bikersfunhouse.com.

11. Nate Says:
    August 27th, 2009 at 7:13 am

Thanks for the update, Vic.

12. harleybrat Says:
    October 29th, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Hey this is the brat , aka “harleybrat”…I was a member for 3 yrs on Bikerworlds.God I miss that place but i have found a new home, bikerhood.com and have found and brought alot of bikerworlds members.It is small but growin .
    Tell them the brat sent ya, you see me on front page, miss you all!!!!

13. Nate Says:
    October 29th, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Hey harleybrat, thanks for reaching out. It sounds like a thriving “hood” over there. Let us know when Bikerhood has a Vermont Teddy Bear of its own…

14. rsa2 Says:
    March 27th, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Wow…ok I just saw this…wanted to update…the Admins did NOT want to take over the site as the owner asked them to… that is why it was shut down… the owner was going through a messy divorce … as a former Admin I did not want to see the site go down either…but the owner was no longer able to financially make the site viable… just setting the story straight

And Larry Bear still rides all over the states…

15. Nate Says:
    March 28th, 2011 at 9:20 am

Hey rsa2, thanks for the info.

It’s clear to me that BikerWorlds had a lot of people who put in much time and energy toward keeping it going, and when it had to be shut down it was a great loss.

16. Jill Pike (BikerLady Maryland) Says:
    July 15th, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Chills went through me when I found this site. I took Larry from Terry Branam in the 2007 ride. He went to more of Rolling Thunder with me, then on the Ride Across Maryland to raise money for breast cancer research. I’m glad he’s still riding!! I loved that li’l bear!!

17. Nate Says:
    July 18th, 2011 at 9:17 am

Hey Jill, you’re in good company! Larry has a lot of friends.

Does it change your riding experience when you have a “Bear on board”? Do you drive more carefully?

18. cagey Says:
    December 30th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

The site quit a few years ago, and Larry was in the midst of traveling. The woman who had him at that time kept him.

I arranged all his rides and hookups, I was his home base. I missed him, but I guess she thought she was worthy. *b***h mode* :)

19. Nate Says:
    January 3rd, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Hi cagey. Bummer! Maybe Larry will yet ride again some day…

Comments